Sunday, July 12, 2015

Natural Hair

     I've been natural for six years now. I often get asked a lot of questions about my natural hair pertaining to the products I use, the transition stages and about the process to become natural. A lot of people have asked me, "Did you become natural or is your hair naturally curly?" I was born with curly hair but there was a period of time when I permed my hair and I had to stop perming my hair in order to get my curls back. After a rough transitioning period, I am now at the stage where I just wash my hair and hope for the best. In this blog, I'll give you information about my natural hair, what techniques I use and the products I use.

     About my transition. I've had long hair all of my life but I decided I wanted something new...so I cut my hair into a bob and permed it in ninth grade. After the short cut, I realized that I would like to grow my hair back to it's full length and stopped getting perms. Besides the yearly trims I get, my hair is healthier than ever and if I stopped cutting it my hair would be back. Below is a photo grid of my transition, start from the top left corner and follow along to the right. The picture in the middle is where I am at now.


So here are the things I use for my hair...

I love using either Herbal Essences Totally Twisted or TRESemme Curl Hydration shampoo and conditioner. I've heard that Mixed Chicks shampoo and conditioner works wonders but I have yet to try it! Both products do for wonders for natural hair and curls. NATURAL HAIR TIP: Apply a small dab of conditioner all over your hair before you get out the shower.   


Oils are really good for natural hair by stopping the dry hair problem and keeping one's hair moisturized. It also helps to stop frizz. It's best to apply the oil after your hair drys from a wash or before you go about your day. Apply the oil to your hands and distribute the oil through out your hair. My favorite oil to use would be by Herbal Essences, but Moroccan argan oil and Africa's Best Herbal Oil are awesome as well! Hot oil treatments on natural hair are often a big help!


If I comb my hair out with conditioner after a shampoo then I tend to not use leave in conditioner, but if I don't use regular conditioner...I apply leave in conditioner to my hair and I promptly comb through my hair with a wide tooth comb. It doesn't hurts to use both, as I sometimes do. Olive Miracle leave in conditioner is great for natural hair.


No one wants to constantly have to go through the shower process of wetting their hair, so keeping a spray bottle proves extremely useful. Every natural should keep a spray bottle! My spray bottle contains water and drops of conditioner. Some times I mix curl product with my spray bottle water, either way works.



I absolutely love using my blow dryer after I apply my curl products! This is actually a Conair Diffuser but I never really use the diffusing portion. Natural hair tends to bring shrinkage but a blow dryer can stop this. Both cold and warm air works fine! NATURAL HAIR TIP: You can lengthen your curls by stretching out your hair and holding the ends while running the blow dryer through your hair.

Every natural must own a wide tooth comb...DETANGLE. DETANGLE. DETANGLE. It's something we all have to do to keep our hair healthy. It's best to detangle your hair when you condition your hair in the shower or with leave in conditioner.



Here are some extra tips:
  • Try applying deep conditioner to your hair with a shower cap on before you step into the shower. After you wash up, proceed to wash your hair as usual.
  • When you are letting your hair dry, wrap your hair up in a top not or loose bun. This can prevent frizz and give you looser curls. 
  • I've heard that coconut oil is very good for dry hair.
  • Applying deep conditioner before you workout helps your hair to lock in moisture and soften curls.
  • A satin or silk pillow prevents tangled morning hair! You didn't detangle all of your hair for nothing!
  • If you're transitioning, it's best to braid your hair up after you apply your curl product and put a scarf on for a nice twist out.
  • It helps to get trims about every three or four months so that your hair can grow healthy.
     Every one has different ways to treat their natural hair and I just wanted to share mine! I hope this helped. If you have any tips or products and or hacks that you have for your natural hair, please comment below! Can't wait to hear from my natural beauties! 


-THE CURLY BANDIT 



No comments:

Post a Comment